I’m an accomplished software engineer that’s worked with multiple languages and technologies over the past 15 years. I design, develop and implement back-end web solutions with technologies such as Node.js, AngularJS, Java, Grails, Ruby on Rails, MongoDB, MySql & AWS. I also have extensive experience in implementing Continuous Deployment and production web environments, mainly on the AWS platform (EC2, S3, Elastic Beanstalk, CloudFront,RDS)
Databases:? MySQL, MSSQL, MongoDB (Emphasis on query optimization)
Cloud Services😕 EC2, Docker, Elastic Beanstalk, RDS, Lambda, S3, CloudFront
DevOps😕 Bitbucket, CodeDeploy, Jenkins, TravisCI
Certifications:? AWS Solutions Architect (2017)
Community: ? Organizer/Facilitator for Startup Weekend Okanagan (2012-2018)
Mentorship: ? Mentor new grads through Out Of Office Hours site
Client: Television Academy (Emmys)
- Architected and developed a web-based system for Emmy nominations that processes thousands of entries per day.
- Developed a dynamic field architecture to allow drag & drop editing of entry forms including video/image fields.
- Implemented a scalable and fault-tolerant production environment using Elastic Beanstalk, Cloudwatch and RDS to achieve 99.999% uptime.
- Implemented continuous build pipelines that automatically test & deploy daily changes with zero downtime.
- Conducted code reviews and refactored complex queries to ensure improved performance with each release.
- Provided recommendations and solutions to development teams on AWS and Docker
- Authored best practice documentation to ensure quality and consistency across a team of 200+ remote workers.
- Conducted weekly project technical audits to provide feedback on architecture and implementation.
Client: Complete Genomics
- Built & optimized queries on large (2GB) genomic datasets in MongoDB that returned data in milliseconds.
- Developed a data service to create a unique user avatar (SVG) based on the individual’s DNA sequence.
Change Heroes (Senior Web Developer)
October 2013-April 2015
- Built a web/mobile donation platform using Node.js, Java and AWS that handled over $2.5 million in transactions
- Implemented API integrations with Stripe, WePay, SalesForce and Mixpanel
- Developer a scalable AWS-based video recording, transcoding and streaming solution that processed 2+ hours of video per day.
- Mentored junior developers to plan, develop, test and release new features.
Fresh Grade (Senior Web Developer)
January 2013-October 2013
- Worked on an agile development team to quickly iterate and ship a Node.js/backbone app to improve parent-student-teach communication.
- Designed and developed asynchronous web components and services using Node.js and MongoDB.
- Implemented and managed continuous integration and deployment environments.
Universal Mind (Developer)
August 2011-October 2013
- Developed credit application web services for major North American bank using .NET WCF & MVC3.
- Built customized CMS for interior design firm with SiteFinity, C#.NET and WCF Web Services.
- Provided problem solving & best practices advice on issues and technical challenges.
January 2006-August 2011
- Built a PHP-based Facebook contest app for Free the Children that had thousands of interactions per day by a user base of over one million.
- Created a career-based web application in C#/.NET with advanced resume searching and matching logic.
- Developed a trip reservation system that integrated with a 3rd party CRM via web services.
- Implemented cross-platform encryption between .NET and PHP servers to protect sensitive credit card data.
- Led project communications and conveyed technical terminology to the client in business terms.